Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Bill of Rights Charades

We were talking about the Constitution this week and I really wanted to figure out a game where they could write down the rules for a club or something of that sort, but in the end, I settled on talking about the Bill of Rights.

We sat together in a circle and I asked the kids to tell me some of the freedoms and rights that are guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. We went around in a circle and each kid offered one and then we talked about them. At the same time, I wrote down the name of the right on a piece of paper and set them on the floor in front of them.

We talked a lot about the different rights and how they worked and what limitations they had and why they were important.

Then I folded up the papers and divided the kids into teams. They each chose a right and figured out with their team member how to act it out. When they were ready, they perrformed their skit and the other kids how to guess which right they were portraying.

It worked pretty well. It seemed like the kids liked doing it, and got a better feel for what is and isn't protected.

No comments: